Thursday, May 22, 2008

We are is..

Defining and portraying the fabric of our existence on a 7x7 inch square is quite a feat. However, through my panel I attempted to portray some of the basic aspects that I feel are key to being human. The main portion of the panel, is a slanted eye. Words create the boundaries of the eye, representing 1) that language helps to shape how we define reality and the world around us, and 2) the words I chose, I feel, are really a huge part of what being human is. The slanted tilt of the eye, symbolizes that all of us view the world through our own bias and slanted views. The varying shades of blue is the center of the eye, shows how that while we all are human, we are made of so many different and unique personalities and people, yet still being one species. The orange pupil, signifies the passion that fuels all human actions. Above the eye is the chinese symbol for indecision, because a part of being human is never being satsified and always searching for happiness. In this search, many of us face indecision of whether or not we are choosing the right path. Hence, the other Chinese symbol below the eye, stands for happiness. The black patterned background, I feel also reinforces the idea of being of one fabric yet being cut into so many varying shapes and sizes. The overlapping pieces serve to represent that life does not fit together perfectly like a puzzle, being human means being imperfect, and hence life is imperfect.



"I do not know what I am. I dont know if I am or not....I am is." - Cash, As I Lay Dying



I feel that this quote sums up what humanity is all about. A recurring theme across all of literature is searching for the meaning of life, within our own humanity. Great Expectations is a boy's search for happiness through material values, while Siddhartha goes the opposite route. In The Bell Jar and Catcher in the Rye the two main characters are so discouraged with life and societal values that their lives become almost meaningless. Yet still they continue to search for happiness and answers. As humans, we are confined by our own brains and our mortality, we don't know why we are here, nor will we ever know. All we do know is that in the present We are is.

1 comment:

Kerri Ann Thompson said...

sarah: excellent. thanks for the post.