Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Think Therefore I Am


Humans are what they think they are. If a person is exposed to destruction all the time then he or she will think of it as being another human emotion or action. There are countless emotions in the world that can be associated with being human. Knowing which ones apply to us is what separates us from one another. The symbolism in my quilt is what I think it means to be human and may not apply to everybody. The Earth with people all round it holding hands is what I saw as unity. Humans should be united with one another, after all we are the same species. The evolutionary circle of primates to humans with the picture of a half human half primate being in the middle of the circle represents the change that humans have gone through to get to where they are now. It also means that we can still keep evolving and changing so that could be a good thing. The top right corner contains a war battle ground with an atomic cloud in the middle which represents destruction of life. Humans have destroyed many environments, species, and even other human life in order to survive. My favorite part of this quilt was the picture of the woman with an unborn baby which I thought symbolized human hope. With out hope we have no reason to be called humans. We are the only life forms on Earth that can perform this rare and special act.

2 comments:

Ati said...

Your patch reminds me of the cover of "The Day of the Dead" movie.

Kerri Ann Thompson said...

mike: I love the design of this panel. It has great impact. Thanks for the post.