Thursday, May 22, 2008

"To err is to be human..."

Every human in the history of time has made mistakes. Every human in the future will make mistakes. While I don't believe that only humans make mistakes [as Kaspar pointed out so readily, animals make mistakes too, i.e. crossing streets during rush hour and the like.], I believe that a big part of being human is making an ultimately flawed decision. Hence, I included Marie Antoinette on my panel. She spent her country's national treasury on expensive and lavish things while the vast majority of her country's population, the working people, were starving to death in poverty and despair. While it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, it was an ultimately flawed decision.... which her people made her pay for with her life. In the lower right hand corner, I included a quote of hers, "Pardonnez-moi, Monsieur. Je ne l'ai pas fait à l'exprès.". Coincidentally, it fit into my original quote; literally translated, it means, "Pardon me, Sir. I did not do it on purpose." It seems that on her way to her death, Marie tripped over her executioner's foot. These were her last words.

The background has ink spilt over it, to reinforce the concept of an accident. In the quote, I changed the word "err" to the word "air" simply because when I explained my panel to my best friend to ask her opinion, she asked me, "What does air have to do with forgiving? Wouldn't angels and humans need air?". [Also, by adding the wrong word, I myself would have "err"ed in the typing of the quote.] The golden wax angels in the corner by the quote serve not only as decoration, but reinforcement of the ideal that "...to forgive is divine."

2 comments:

Maya said...

it's really great Emily, and as I read the explanation, I see things I didn't notice before. It is very well thought-out. very artsy.

Kerri Ann Thompson said...

emily: love the quote. thanks for the post.