Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Humanity of Humans

This panel represents, symbolically, the common motifs that I recognize in society. Life's seeming randomness, yet seeming purposefulness was a big inspiration for my creation. Furthermore, the "interconectedness" of life, humanity's natural organization, evolution, and faith are all represented within my patch. I approached "What does it mean to be human?" from a holistic, "socionatural" point of view, that is, what humanity has come to be over the eons, what has characteristically represented human existence, and what sets us apart from everyone else.
My effort was to break conventional artistic valus with this panel, yet also attribute to those new conventions specific symbolic importance. I tried to excercise humanity's greatest and most exclusive quality, creativity, in, essentially, describing the human condition. Through the dissonant, yet visually appealing background I captured life's "unity through disunity," or how humankind seems disjointed, sparse; how one's life seems random and unconnected to anyone else's, yet somehow, through some force, everything comes together in the end. It is this mystical feeling that I tried to capture, and in doing so, I violate one of Art Theory's traditional treatises: the compliment of a dark background to a bright, colorful, foreground, to which I did the exact opposite. Furthermore, the pictures themselves symbolize what I view as exclusive to the human experience, and how humanity is able to rival nature and her creative forces in our ability to create new life rivaling, and even surpassing the complexity of other animals. The ability to create artificial landscapes; skyscrapers that rival nature's mountains. And the social interactions that are similiar in essence to all other animals, but to us it is fundamentally different in that it forms a cornerstone of our human experience.

1 comment:

Kerri Ann Thompson said...

K: You don't really explain what it means to be human. YOu do what I like to call circle talk which now I can one-up to academic-sounding circle talk. I'm choosing not to be offended; but in watching you put your panel together and the irreverence with which you treated the project, I will reflect on this in your grade. Thanks for posting, though. :)